Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Movies

So, I decided I should watch a lot of movies. This is not a decision that came quickly or without thought. After much liberation and discussion (with me), I have decided to watch a lot of movies.

What movies, you ask? Well, the American Film Institute's recently updated Top 100 American Films of All-Time list, selected by a panel that consists, evidently , of Steven Spielberg and Jimmy Stewart, (okay, Jimmy Stewart's dead, but he's in a lot of these movies). I made this decision because, upon looking at the list (updated in 2007 after being originally developed in 1997), I realized I either hadn't seen as many of these movies as I should or it's been so long since I've seen them, I've all but forgotten their artistic/cultural/etc. value. So, I intend to go from 100 to 1 and watch 'em all.

So, I shall begin the 100 movies. Keep in mind, this isn't a 100 movies in 100 nights thing, either. This is just 100 movies in whatever nights. No pressure. And I've technically already begun. I am currently awaiting the Netflix arrival of movie #96.

Stay tuned to my blog where (really) I will write (hopefully not too) sporadic write-ups of these movies.

But enough talk, I've got a kickball double-header tonight. I need to get prepared. And by prepared I mean sitting in my bed and trembling at the thought of someone throwing the ball at me.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I've been trying to do this for years! (Not the trembling in fear about kickball, but the viewing).

I have seen exactly 50 of the new top 100, which is either really impressive or really depressing. Please let me know when you're watching what and maybe I could sit in on some? The Apartment and Gone With the Wind are two of my favorites.

Does is say anywhere which films were bumped?

Jason Olsen said...

I've got "Do the Right Thing" going tonight or tomorrow and I'll probably be watching "The Last Picture Show" this weekend. You are obviously invited...I'll keep you in the know.

Amanderpanderer said...

Tremble, nerd! For I shall smite thee forthrightly. (nerdstyle!)

Foxygen said...

I was going to do something like this. And it would have been ideal for me to do this here, since there is nothing to do in Iowa. But no, I didn't, and i'm moving somewhere cool now. I've only seen about 30-35 of these movies. And no Sideways? Come on!