Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Tree that Didn't Fall

It could have been bad. Really bad. But ultimately it looks as if all the "worst case scenarios" were simply helpful experience for the coming zombie apocalypse or whatever else is on the brink of happening.

What was it, you ask? Well, it was something that could have been bad.

I like trees. But sometimes trees lose their way. This happened in my world because the tree outside our house begin to show some very realistic signs of wanting to fall. Like this:


And Jane (who owns the house) came and did this:

Which, as silly looking and orange as it might be, evidently saved us all. Some guys came to cut the tree out this morning and told us it was being held by a single branch and that the silly looking orange strap allowed it to stay in place. So, crisis averted. The tree didn't fall into the street and knock out power lines or fall into our house and knock out Roy and Mandie's bird.

Good thing, too. Because yesterday Kevin and I had a conversation -- wait, "conversation" -- with the strange old lady next door who told us that she would sue everybody if that tree fell into her house. And, oh, if that happened (which would, of course, also had defied every law of physics, but whatever) it would be like "when Grant took Richmond." Really. She said that. Like two or three times in the conversation. "If that tree falls on my house it'll be like when Grant took Richmond."

Fortunately, it was fairly peaceful. So Grant didn't have to take Richmond at all. Whew.

One last look? Sure:

2 comments:

Foxygen said...

That Jane - she's so good at taking care of stuff!

Anonymous said...

Oh, hoo hoo hee hee hee hee hee...sob! I actually have tears in my eyes. Because when I scrolled down and saw Jane's tape job, I sort of knew it was gonna be something like that. I just hope she wore short shorts while doing it.

I snorted. It was that funny.

Guess what? I've seen a lot of the PSP people, and gave the Jarmans a small tour of our mutual neighborhood. They asked after you, and hoped that you were well.

If there's no tree in the living room, that's pretty good.

Know what's weird about the neighbor lady? I shoveled her walk once and she insisted on giving me five dollars. But then the next time I saw her, she looked at me like I was a theif in the temple.

Just trying to be good. That's all.

Take care! Thinking of you.

Vicki R.