Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Letters

I've recently been spending a lot of time reading the compiled letters of Lowell and Berryman and have been feeling pretty shallow in terms of the letters (or emails as the kids today call 'em) I usually send. Now, I'm not posturing myself as some kind of Lowell, but, you know, collected letters seem interesting and nifty and all that and I'm shooting myself in the foot by not even having a chance. For your consideration, here are three recent correspondences sent out by me (all culled from recent MySpace emails):

1.
"Well, we've always got our karaoke machine in case you suffer from withdrawls. "


2.
"Just wanted to say thanks to Jus Rhyme and his friends for the great job they did at Western Michigan University Saturday night at the Hip Hop/Racism panel.

I've talked to several people since that event and people seemed really willing to talk about things that are generally taboo -- the poetry class I teach has mentioned the panel in each of our last two meetings and I think that's a sign that things went well.

So thanks for your good work,
J. "


3.
"Ooops. Sorry. It sounds like a fun idea and I'm certainly interested. I just don't know what my summer situation is, so I'd like to get things settled with that before I plan ahead.

I'll let you know soon,
J. "


See? Boring at best and totally not something anybody's ever going to study (expect maybe the Jus Rhyme stuff).

So I've decided to make up some letters and get them out there as the real indication of what it is I'm writing in terms of correspondence. So, get ready future biographers and collected letter editors -- this is the good stuff!

--



Dear Mr. Strand,

Hope this letter finds you well and I hope also that you don't find it too forward. Roy Seeger, who has had fine poems appearing aplenty as of late, and I will be traveling to New York in a few months and were wondering if we can stay with you for the week. It will likely be in July, when the weather is warm and a pilgrimage seems fitting. Do reply and let us know.

I tend to not be prone to idle flattery, so take the praise that follows as earnest. I spent a good half hour with your most recent book "Man and Camel" and was able to read the volume in its entirety twice. These are poems not to be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Jason Olsen.

---

Roy,

The poems you've sent me are clearly a labor of love. The footnotes are used with care (mostly) and seem to resonate, at least to me, within the lines. It is true that these are a departure for you and I applaud you for that. Expect me to make more careful and thoughtful comments in time, but I haven't spent enough times with the poems to feel comfortable enough with them.

You must stop constantly querying the past. Somethings need be buried.

Again much congratulations on these recent poems. I think there is likely a much praise coming for them in the future.

Have not heard back from Strand but I expect word from him soon. I'll be heading up to visit you soon.

Affectionately,
Jason.

P.S. Tell Bruce that Bender says hello and send my love to Amanda. I have sent her a letter as well (I'll make sure that one includes instruction for a hello to you).

--

Metzger,

If it was not for you and Robyn, I would have a hard time acknowledging Arkansas even existed. As it is, I suppose I must. I've been meaning to respond for days to your previous correspondence, but those days do get the better of me.

I've been working on an extended poem as of late, one that is now bordering on 500 lines. I have worked today, sculpting 5 lines that I now feel secure with and will take off a few days before returning to it. I have decided to spend these days away from it instead responding to letters and rereading Strand's new book. Have you read it?

The poem itself is progressing with little input from me, it seems, spiraling as does the most chaotic of spirals. I am focused on character as I have never before done, creating a figure out of a George Eliot novel, had George Eliot had the profound pleasure of reading Toni Morrison and being enlightened therein. Also, it is set in Joesph Heller-esque fantasy land, with the machinations of a Browning dramatic personae manipulating the events. All in all, it is proceeding and that is all I can say about it. I've sent an early version to Jorie Graham, but have yet to hear a response. That's likely for the best; the version she received seems like several revisions ago and I am mostly embarrassed by it now.

I'm thinking of traveling for the better part of the next three years. Any suggestions?

Love to you and Robyn,
Jason.

---

Delzer,

The summer trip to Iowa sounds like a well-needed relief. I've been working on this poem of mine for what seems like an eternity and since I don't plan on finishing it until the fall, several months in Iowa City will serve me well. Robin and Josh will be happy to allow us to stay with them for as long as we need, a few months will likely be no problem. Though it might be worth looking up Dean Young and seeing if he would be willing to find a place for some traveling poets. Perhaps the promise of conversation until dawn will be enough for us to offer in exchange.

Speaking of which, have you read Young's latest? It's another triumph, I think, and, as you know, I don't say such things lightly. He's a difficult poet to define, but it's a definition that ultimately needs not be bothered with because the poems themselves transcend such trivialities. Make sure you stock your store with plenty of copies -- I've no doubt the book buying public in Spokane will make it worth your while.

Haven't seen any poems of yours in ages. Would love to change that, if you've got anything to send me. Send a prayer or two my way as far as my work and I'd be happy to return them in spades.

Yours affectionately,
Jason.

1 comment:

Amanderpanderer said...

Dear Jason,

Roy has told me that you sent regards in your last letter. Thank you, I hope this letter finds you well. I am assured that Mark Strand will have no problem putting the both of you up during your stint in New York.

I shall be sending you shortly a loose copy of my most current manuscript, and would like to extend a return offer to read your manuscript. I am currently working on several other projects, including a novel and a series of non-fiction pieces. I may bother you, if you are not too busy with your extensive studies, to lend a fresh perspective once I am a bit further.

Seeing as each of us were unable to attend this year's AWP conference, I was curious to find out if you might be interested in brainstorming topics for a panel discussion next year?

Please respond,
Amanda

P.S. I wear my own grave like an open toed shoe mid-winter.